Nigeria is known for its multi-ethnicity, there are over 500 languages in Nigeria and each ethnic group has its own dialect.
It is impossible for one person to be fluent in all the languages hence you need help in knowing the names of God in different Nigerian languages.
? QUICK ANSWER
These are the names of God and meaning in the 3 major Nigerian languages;
Languages Names Meaning Hausa Almasihu Messiah Igbo Chineke God the creator Yoruba Olorun The supreme being
The diverse tribes spoken in Nigeria have attracted different tourists across the globe, and the diverse dialects spoken are also one of the things that Nigerians pride themselves in.
Nigeria also has a great standing when it comes to religion, the most widely practiced religion in Nigeria is Islam, Christianity, and Traditionalism.
Many people find pleasure in praising God in their dialect and they also feel praising God in their native tongue will make them receive more favor and increase the chance of God answering their prayers.
There are six geopolitical zones in Nigeria and each of these regions has diverse tribes, that’s why I have set out time to write the names of God in different Nigerian languages and their meaning.
Names Of God In Different Languages In Nigeria
Below is the list of the names of God in different Nigerian dialects and their meaning, this list will cover the six geopolitical zones in Nigeria.
Names Of God In North Central Nigeria Languages
Also known as the middle belt, this region consists of 7 states in Nigeria which are: Jos, Benue, Niger, Kwara, Nassarawa, Kogi, and Abuja (FCT).
- Hausa: Ubangiji (father of the whole world)
- Gbagyi: Shekwoi (one who existed before our fathers)
- Idoma: Owoicho (You are Wisdom)
- Eggon: Angbashim (The supreme God)
- Nupe: Soko (the creator that lives in heaven)
- Fulani: Geno (the creator)
Names Of God In North-Eastern Nigeria Languages
There are states in North-Eastern Nigeria and they as follow Borno, Taraba, Bauchi, Gombe, Kebbi, and Adamawa.
- Kanuri: Tambi (God)
- Banka: Allah (God)
- Duma: Gwamhy (Supreme God)
- Hausa: Almasihu (Messiah)
- Kambari: Esile-Ul (Most high)
Names Of God In North-Western Nigeria Languages
The northwestern region consists of seven states; Kaduna, Sokoto, Jigawa, Kebbi, Kano, Katsina, and Nassarawa.
- Atyap: Gwaza (King of heaven)
- Gwandara: Agango (The supreme God)
- Gyem: Mai cheto (My savior)
- Eggon: Angbashim (the supreme God)
- Maguzawa: Mai Taimako (my helper)
Names Of God In South-eastern Nigeria Languages
There is a total of five states in the south-eastern part of Nigeria namely; Abia, Enugu, Anambra, Ebonyi, and Imo.
The south-eastern region of Nigeria consists of one tribe which is the Igbo.
- Igbo: Chineke (God the creator)
Names Of God In South-southern Nigeria Languages
There are six states in South-southern Nigeria, namely; Bayelsa, Akwa-Ibom, Cross River, Rivers, Edo, and Delta state.
- Ijaw: Tamuno (the most high God)
- lzondjo: Temarau (the creator)
- Abayon: Abasi (the supreme God)
- Andoni: Awaji (God)
- Bini: Osenobwa (The one who controls the world)
- Ebirra: Ohomorihi (the rain-maker who lives above us)
- Esan: Ose Ivu (the immortal God)
Names Of God In South-western Nigeria Languages
The southwestern region consists of five states; Lagos, Oyo, Ogun, Osun, and Ondo. It is widely dominated by the Yorubas.
- Yoruba Olorun (the supreme being)
- Ijebu: Olorunsogo (the wonderful God)
The above list of tribes isn’t the complete number of tribes in Nigeria, it is just an excerpt of the major tribes from the six geopolitical zones in Nigeria.