With up to the 10 best medical schools in Nigeria, there might be difficulty in making your choice.
The aim of every medical school includes medical teaching, research, and patient care.
All medical schools share the goal of preparing students in the art and science of medicine and providing them with the background necessary to enter the period of graduate in medical education.
There are more than 40 medical schools in Nigeria. But unfortunately, not all will provide you with the best medical standards.
In this article, You will be given an exploratory detail of the 10 best medical schools in Nigeria in 2022, Best Universities To Study Medicine In Nigeria.
The List Of Medical Courses In Nigeria, Federal Universities That Offer Medicine In Nigeria, and the Current Best University In Nigeria are all highlighted in this article.
This article is a detailed one and will guide you to make the perfect decision.
In summary, this article will give detailed answers to the following questions;
- What are the best medical schools in Nigeria?
- What is the general requirement for studying medicine and surgery in one of the best medical schools in Nigeria?
- How can one get admitted to a medical college in Nigeria?
Federal Universities That Offer Medicine In Nigeria
Below is a list of Federal Universities that offer medicine in Nigeria;
- University of Ibadan
- University of Benin
- Usmanu Danfodiyo University Sokoto
- Federal University Ndufu Alike Ikwo
- University of Port Harcourt
- University of Lagos
- University of Nigeria, Nsukka
- Ahmadu Bello University, Zaria
- Bayero University Kano
- Nnamdi Azikiwe University
- Obafemi Awolowo University, Ife
- University of Maiduguri
- University of Calabar
- University of Lagos
- University of Uyo
- University of Jos
- University of Abuja
- University of Illorin
Best Private Medical Schools For Medicine And Surgery In Nigeria
Below is a list of the best Medical institutions in Nigeria that offer Medicine and Surgery;
- Bingham University
- Bowen University
- Gregory University, Uturu, Abia State
- Igbinedion University, Okada
- Afe Babalola University
- Babcock University
- Madonna University
General Requirements for Studying Medicine and Surgery In Best Universities In Nigeria
Medicine and Surgery as a course is offered in various Nigerian Universities prompting the grant of M.B.B.S., or MB.B.Ch.B.
To study medicine and Surgery in an accredited university in Nigeria, candidates are expected to meet specific academic requirements. They are:
- Be on track with the right Subject Combinations: Candidates wishing to study Medicine and Surgery must have at least five credit passes at SSCE/NECO or its equivalent in the following subjects: English Language; Mathematics; Physics, Chemistry, and Biology. Subject combinations for JAMB/UTME are English, Physics, Chemistry, and Biology.
- Should get more than the Unified Tertiary Matriculation Examination(UTME) Score: All the best medical universities in Nigeria set up this exam for candidates who successfully passed their JAMB test.Therefore, passing JAMB and UTME is a must. All Federal universities can only admit 100 students for medicine, while most state universities are allowed to accept between 50 and 75 students.
- Advanced Level general certificate Examination: This is basically for candidates intending to study Medicine and Surgery through direct entry.Though this differs on various institutions, most institutions require an O’level passes in Physics Chemistry and Biology, plus a B.Sc. first class/second class upper in programs such as Physiology, Biochemistry, Physiotherapy, Ophthalmology, Pharmacology, and Zoology.
Note: JAMBs usual cut-off mark for Medicine and Surgery is 200. But, not all schools offering Medicine and Surgery accept this score.
Schools like Ahmadu Bello University, University of Benin, University of Ibadan, etc., may choose to set their cut-off marks between 250-300 and above.
Therefore the need to get a higher JAMB score is mandatory if you want to study in one of the best medical schools in Nigeria.
List of medical Courses Best Medical Schools in Nigeria Offer
The following are the medical courses under medicine and surgery that are taken in most accredited best medical universities in Nigeria;
- Veterinary Medicine
- Medical Laboratory Science
- Infectious Diseases
- Trauma and Emergencies
- Human Anatomy
- Cardiothoracic surgery
- Plastic and reconstructive surgery.
- Medical Radiology/Radiography
- Ear Nose and Throat (E.N.T)/Maxillofacial surgery.
- Family Medicine
- Obstetrics and Gynecology
- Community Medicine/Community Health
- Pathology (Microbiology, Hematology, Chemical Pathology, and Histopathology)
10 Best Medical School/University In Nigeria
- College Of Medicine, University Of Ibadan, Oyo State
- College Of Health Sciences, Obafemi Awolowo University, Ile Ife
- College Of Medicine, University Of Ilorin, Kwara State
- College Of Medicine, University Of Lagos, Lagos State
- Faculty Of Medicine, Ahmadu Bello University Zaria, Kaduna State
- College Of Medicine, University Of Nigeria, Enugu State
- Lagos State College Of Medicine, Lagos State University, Lagos State
- College of Medical Sciences, University of Benin
- Collage of Medicine, Nnamdi Azikiwe University, Nnewi
- College Of Health Science, Delta State University, Delta State
Above is a list of the best medical schools in Nigeria and below contains all you need to know about them.
College Of Medicine, University Of Ibadan, Oyo State
The University of Ibadan is the leading university when it comes to medical training in Nigeria. UI is the Best university to study Medicine in Nigeria.
UI has a renowned college of medicine where so many critical illnesses have been successfully taken care of.
The college of medicine, the University of Ibadan has affiliations with other international institutions.
It receives medical students from foreign universities for specialized training programs.
Admission to study medicine and surgery at the University of Ibadan is very competitive. The best university for medicine in Nigeria is the University of Ibadan.
UI was established first in 1932 and was located in Yaba, Lagos. In 1948, the staff of the college was moved to a new site in Ibadan to start the University of Ibadan.
The University of Ibadan was finally moved to its permanent site on the 17th of November 1948. The college of medicine also began in 1948 after it was given recognition by London University.
Because the university did not have the facilities to train its students in clinical courses, students were sent abroad to complete their training.
The University Teaching Hospital was built and opened in 1957, and it graduated its first locally trained doctor in 1960.
Since its establishment, the University has trained more than 7,000 medical doctors.
College Of Health Sciences, Obafemi Awolowo University, Ile Ife
This College Of Health Sciences, Obafemi Awolowo University, Ile Ife is among the Top 10 Best Medical Schools In Nigeria.
OAU is made of three faculties and one institute. Just like the University of Lagos, it is research-based and aims at excellence in medical education.
It offers competitive and student-centered curricula that have produced top professionals in the field of medicine. It has four faculties namely:
- Faculty of Basic Medical Science
- Faculty of Clinical Sciences
- Faculty of Dentistry
- Institute of Public Health
It is generally agreed that it also has the most modern equipment for medical classes, and there is a college hospital in this university.
College Of Medicine, University Of Ilorin, Kwara State
The University of Ilorin is a federal government university located in Ilorin, Kwara State, Nigeria. The College of Medicine, University of Ilorin is one of the most prominent universities in Nigeria.
And ranks as one of the best universities to study medicine in Nigeria and is listed as one of the best Medical Schools In Nigeria.
The university of Ilorin started its college of Medicine as a faculty of health science in 1977 and has experienced rapid growth since then.
The University of Ilorin is famous for its fast academic calendar because it rarely goes on strike; so you can concentrate on your studies and pass out as at when due.
It has two faculties namely: Faculty of basic medical science and The Faculty of clinical science.
College Of Medicine, University Of Lagos, Lagos State
It is a well-known fact that one of the best places to study medicine and surgery in Nigeria is the University of Lagos.
UNILAG is a Federal Universities That Offer Medicine In Nigeria. It was recently one of 7 institutions to receive a share of a $1.2 million research grant awarded by the Lagos State government.
It has a goal of being a world-class research-intensive medical school. It made this list because it has conducted lots of medical-based research that added value to the school and the courses offered.
It receives a grant from the federal government to embark on those researches and is the Current Best University In Nigeria.
It has 3 faculties that offer some of the Best Medical Courses In Nigeria:
- Faculty of Basic medical science
- Faculty of clinical sciences
- Faculty of dental sciences
Faculty Of Medicine, Ahmadu Bello University Zaria, Kaduna State
This medical school is the first medical school in the Northern Parts of Nigeria and the Faculty of Medicine ABU is the largest faculty in the university.
The faculty is not only the biggest in the university, but it is also known to have produced the best medical doctors.
This Community Based Experience and Services (COBES) program has earned university recognition from both the World Health Organization and the Network of Community-Based Medical Schools.
College Of Medicine, University Of Nigeria, Enugu State
College Of Medicine, University Of Nigeria, Ozara-Ituku, Enugu State is also one of the best Medical schools in Nigeria and the best university to study Medicine in the eastern parts of Nigeria.
College of Medicine, University of Nigeria, made this list as one of the best universities to study Medicine in Nigeria because of its quality of academic and clinical programs and commitment.
UNN is among the Federal Universities that offer Medicine in Nigeria.
UNN has a very impressive Teaching hospital and a high level of academic competition among students. It is one of the best medical schools in Nigeria.
The faculties in the medical school are:
- Faculty of medical science
- Faculty of Dentistry
- Faculty of health science and technology
Lagos State College Of Medicine, Lagos State University, Lagos State
This medical school is also among the best universities to study medicine in Nigeria because of its commitment to producing world-class graduates in health science.
LASU is the Best State University In Nigeria and has contributed a lot to global medical practice and research.
Fondly referred to as the pride of LASU, Lagos State University has continued to rank as one of the best Universities in terms of studying Medical sciences. it has three faculties namely:
- Faculty of basic medical science
- Faculty of clinical services
- Faculty of Dentistry
Collage of Medicine, Nnamdi Azikiwe University, Nnewi
UNIZIK ranks as one of the best at the moment. One very interesting thing about UNIZIK is that they rarely go on strike, so you are assured of a smooth and uninterrupted study.
UNIZIK boasts of a respectable staff of medical professionals and outstanding facilities for teaching medicine.
College of Medical Sciences, University of Benin
UNIBEN is currently ranked as the 9th best university to study medicine in Nigeria and it is rated as one of the best schools that offer quality education in the country.
Presently, student enrollment at the university to study medicine is as much as 3,000 persons. This number comprises full-time and part-time students respectively.
UNIBEN is known to have appointed the first female vice-Chancellor in the country, Dr. Grace Alele-Williams.
10. College Of Health Science, Delta State University, Delta State
This is also one of the best universities to study medicine in Nigeria. It has standard facilities and up-to-date research programs. And have produced over 1,000 professional medical doctors.
It has a reliable educational program and sound equipment for research and study. Critical Medical cases like kidney transplants are being well taken care of in this institution.
In conclusion, always bear in mind that, these are the best universities to study medicine in Nigeria and they are also the best medical schools in Nigeria.
We have given you the reason why they are the best. The decisions are now left for you to make.
To get into one of these best universities, you’ll have to go the extra mile. And even if you get admitted, you’ll have to work even harder to succeed.
When it comes to studying medicine in one of the best medical schools in Nigeria, these 10 will give you the very best.
If you enjoyed this post, or in any way have anything to add or questions to ask, we always want to hear them. Please do well to let us know at the comment box below.