We are seeking a detail-oriented and highly organized individual to join our team as a Truck Dispatcher.
As a crucial part of our logistics and transportation operations, the Truck Dispatcher will be responsible for efficiently coordinating the movement of freight, optimizing routes, and ensuring timely deliveries.
The ideal candidate will possess strong communication skills, be adept at problem-solving, and have a solid understanding of logistics and transportation management.
- Location: Mission, BC
- Salary: 28.50 hourly / 40 hours per week
- Terms of employment Permanent employment: Full time Day, Evening, Morning
- Start date: Starts as soon as possible
- Vacancies 1
- Secondary (high) school graduation certificate
- Route Planning and Assignment:
- Efficiently plan and assign routes for truck drivers, considering factors such as delivery deadlines, fuel efficiency, and road conditions.
- Optimize delivery schedules to ensure timely and cost-effective transportation.
- Maintain clear and effective communication with truck drivers, providing instructions, updates, and addressing any issues that may arise during transportation.
- Liaise with customers and other stakeholders to provide real-time information on shipments.
- Monitoring and Tracking:
- Utilize dispatching software and telematics systems to monitor the location and progress of trucks.
- Track shipments to ensure compliance with delivery schedules and address any deviations promptly.
- Problem Resolution:
- Address and resolve issues that may impact delivery schedules, such as traffic delays, weather disruptions, or unexpected changes in routes.
- Collaborate with drivers and other team members to find effective solutions.
- Compliance Management:
- Stay informed about transportation regulations and ensure that drivers comply with legal requirements, including hours of service and safety regulations.
- Conduct regular checks to verify compliance with company policies and industry standards.
- Maintain accurate records of shipments, routes, and communication with drivers.
- Prepare necessary documentation for billing, reporting, and compliance purposes.
- Proven experience as a Truck Dispatcher or in a similar logistics role.
- Strong knowledge of transportation operations, routing, and logistics management.
- Excellent communication skills, both verbal and written.
- Proficiency in using dispatching software, GPS systems, and other relevant technology.
- Ability to make quick and effective decisions in high-pressure situations.
- Detail-oriented with strong organizational and multitasking abilities.
- Familiarity with relevant regulations and compliance standards in the transportation industry.
Education and Qualifications:
- High school diploma or equivalent; additional education or certification in logistics or transportation management is a plus.
- Previous experience in dispatching, logistics, or a related field is preferred.
- Competitive salary
- Health and dental insurance
- Retirement savings plan
- Opportunities for professional development
- Dynamic and collaborative work environment
- Ensure accuracy of completed time sheets, payroll and other summaries
- Maintain work records and logs
- Monitor personnel workloads and locations
- Advise vehicle operators of traffic and other problems
- Assist with maintenance of communications equipment
- Dispatch personnel according to schedules and work orders
- Dispatch personnel as required by emergency situations
- Follow-up on issues with work orders
- Keep track of shipments
- Knowledge of cross border dispatching regulations and practices
- Knowledge of highway trucking and associated rules and regulations
- Maintain vehicle operator work records
- Operate computer-aided communications and dispatching equipment
- Operate radio equipment
- Receive requests for emergency assistance or service
- Record mileage, fuel use, repairs and other expenses
- Schedule assignments and co-ordinate activities of vehicle operators, crews and equipment
Who can apply to this job?
Only apply to this job if:
- You are a Canadian citizen, a permanent or a temporary resident of Canada.
- You have a valid Canadian work permit.
If you are not authorized to work in Canada, do not apply. The employer will not respond to your application.
How to apply
Here are some frequently asked questions to help you gain a better understanding of this Dispatcher, trucks:
1. What does a truck dispatcher do?
Truck dispatchers are responsible for coordinating the movement of freight by managing truck drivers, assigning routes, and ensuring timely deliveries. They act as a crucial link between drivers, customers, and other stakeholders in the supply chain.
2. What skills are essential for a successful truck dispatcher?
Key skills include excellent communication, organizational abilities, problem-solving, and the ability to handle high-pressure situations. A strong understanding of geography, logistics, and familiarity with dispatch software is also crucial.
3. How do truck dispatchers handle unexpected challenges on the road?
Adaptability is key. Dispatchers need to have contingency plans in place, communicate effectively with drivers, and leverage technology to navigate around roadblocks, weather issues, or other unforeseen challenges.
4. What technology do truck dispatchers use in their daily work?
Truck dispatchers often use advanced software and telematics systems to track trucks, monitor routes, and communicate with drivers. Familiarity with dispatching software, GPS systems, and communication tools is essential.
5. How do truck dispatchers ensure efficient route planning?
Efficient route planning involves considering factors like traffic, weather conditions, and delivery deadlines. Dispatchers use mapping tools and real-time data to optimize routes, reducing fuel costs and ensuring timely deliveries.
6. How do dispatchers communicate with truck drivers on the road?
Communication is typically done through mobile devices, two-way radios, or specialized communication platforms. Clear and effective communication is vital for updating drivers on assignments, changes in routes, or any issues that may arise.
7. What is the role of truck dispatchers in ensuring compliance with regulations?
Dispatchers must stay informed about transportation regulations and ensure that drivers adhere to them. This includes managing hours of service, vehicle inspections, and compliance with safety regulations.
8. How do dispatchers handle multiple shipments and prioritize deliveries?
Prioritization skills are crucial. Dispatchers assess factors like delivery deadlines, customer requirements, and route efficiency to prioritize shipments. Effective communication with drivers and clients is essential to manage expectations.
9. What is the career growth potential for truck dispatchers?
With experience, dispatchers can advance to supervisory or managerial roles. Some may choose to specialize in specific industries or transition into roles such as logistics management or operations management.